[cups.general] Brother HL-2140 printer question(s)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 13 21:07:22 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Alex Janssen wrote:
>Gene Heskett said the following on 05/13/2008 06:25 PM:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I am attempting to rig a rendering loop between a 20 year old computer,
>> that only speaks ascii, and a Brother HL-2140 I just unpacked & hooked up.
>>
>> Cups went through the motions of adding a Brother HL-2060, its choice,
>> says its talking to it ok, and there is no HL-2140 available in the
>> cups dialog, but when I sent a test page, it took it in about the usual
>> amount of time & then came back saying the printer was ready and
>> accepting jobs.  However, when I went to the printer to get the test
>> page, 20 feet away by USB repeater cable but 60 feet and a flight of
>> stairs for me it wasn't there on the output tray and no busy or other
>> tally leds were on other than the power indicator led, which if tapped,
>> causes the printer to print a perfect copy of its own test page.  So
>> the printer is working it appears.  I've inspected the cdrom that came
>> with it, all winderz stuff and no ppd's that I could find.
>>
>> When I inspected the messages log I find this:
>>
>> May 13 16:42:10 coyote kernel: [411043.845003] usb 1-1.4.2.4: new full
>> speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 36 May 13 16:42:10 coyote
>> kernel: [411043.932017] usb 1-1.4.2.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1
>> choice May 13 16:42:10 coyote kernel: [411043.936791] usblp1: USB
>> Bidirectional printer dev 36 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0033
>> May 13 16:42:30 coyote hal_lpadmin: File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line
>> 410, in main#012    h = HalLpAdmin() May 13 16:42:30 coyote hal_lpadmin:
>> File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 384, in __init__#012
>> self.addPrinter() May 13 16:42:30 coyote hal_lpadmin: File
>> "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line 397, in addPrinter#012    printer.add()
>> May 13 16:42:30 coyote hal_lpadmin: File "/usr/libexec/hal_lpadmin", line
>> 252, in add#012    ppdname=ppdname, info=info) May 13 16:42:30 coyote
>> hal_lpadmin: IPPError: (1027, 'client-error-not-authorized')
>>
>> Now, that timing bothers me, because from the time I turned it on and USB
>> found it & logged it, I was downstairs messing with the other machine and
>> I expect there was more like 10 minutes before I came back up the stairs
>> & had cups go looking for it.  lpadmin I suppose needs a permission set
>> someplace, but where, and if its being denied, why is cups not having a
>> litter of kittens over it?
>>
>> In /var/log/cups/error_log, I find this:
>> E [13/May/2008:16:42:30 -0400] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>> E [13/May/2008:16:42:30 -0400] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>> E [13/May/2008:16:53:03 -0400] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>> E [13/May/2008:16:53:18 -0400] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>> E [13/May/2008:16:53:59 -0400] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
>>
>> But I've NDI if that was before, or after I'd entered root & the roots
>> password during the add printer dialog.  The access_log looks clean
>> for at least 200 lines back up from the tail, everything was
> [...]

I'd sent their support an email query late this afternoon, and got a very nice
reply back a couple of hours ago with lots of apologies and instructions plus
URL's to go get another pair of drivers, the one for lpd, and a cups wrapper
for it, that was compatible, the HL-2070N.

Installed according to the email, I sent cups to look for it, had to browse
for the ppd though after the rpm they pointed me at installed it, and its
working flawlessly.  Not to mention about 10x faster than the hockey puck
that answers to "Epson C-82" on the right end of this desk.  It printed the
test page so fast cups never had a chance to show me a progress report!  I
can stand that, its about 2x faster than the computer that it will be used
with can output a listing. :)

Now, if I could concoct a cli command that would cat that machines output
directly through cups for rasterization rendering, I'd be in hog heaven. So
far all I've managed to collect is about 50k of Plain Old Ascii in a hash
numbered file in /tmp.  The src box isn't sending an EOF, nor is it sending
formfeeds.  Either of those *should* tell lpr to print the buffered file.  I
think...  DamifIknowforsure...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)