[cups.general] Printing a postscript file is slower than printing a pdf file

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Wed May 14 14:58:12 PDT 2008

> I've recently bought a new laser printer (Kyocera FS-1030D)

We have quite a few of these printers. They do tend to print slowly
under certain circumstances.

Setting the CUPS print server queue to RAW and having the correct
driver on the client is one option which seems to help quite a bit.
Also printing text only documents will normally be quick, even with a
generic driver.

I have no idea why these printers print graphics so slowly. I believe
this issue is something to do with the printers processing of the jobs
it receives rather than CUPS. This is because if you have a FS-1010 it
will print the same job really quickly. If you have a FS-1020 it is
slighly slower, but an FS-1030 or an FS-1030D is really slow. We have
mentioned this to Kyocera and are waiting for a reply.

It seems odd that the newer machines print slower than the old ones.

SORRY THIS NEXT BIT IS A BIT OFF TOPIC

Finally, if you decide to purchase some more of these printers, would
you kindly check whether the new machine correctly reports the IP
address attained from DHCP when you first attach the printer to the
network. When we attach the newer Kyocera printers to our network they
report their IP address as 0.0.0.0. Once you visit the printers web
page with a browser (using the IP address extracted from the DHCP
logs) the printer will then report the correct address. Again, we have
mentioned this issue to Kyocera and we are still waiting for a reply
as to why this may be happening. We are using a Mac OS X 10.4 server
for DHCP on our site and all other devices are receiving IP addresses
as are these printers. They are simply not reporting the address.

Good luck and let us know how you work this issue out.