[cups.general] CUPS reference installations with *lots* of printers / CUPS cluster?

Gerard.Jensen at info-ag.de Gerard.Jensen at info-ag.de
Fri May 16 02:30:56 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I have a customer that is pondering about using CUPS as their printing
system, but has some worries about the size of his installation and how
CUPS would cope (especially performancewise).

He wants to connect multiple hundreds of printers at numerous remote
locations (all connected by VPNs) to a central CUPS cluster, to be used by
several thousands of users yet to be centrally administered from just one
location. Sounds like a perfect fit for CUPS, especially as the clustering
part is so easy to configure.

I've been searching up and down but seem to be unable to find similar
sized installations anywhere - although I'm pretty sure that environments
such as those of a university should actually be pretty much similar:
loads of users, loads of printers, but perhaps not that many remote
locations. But where to find these?

The "common CUPS environment" seems to be much smaller, with perhaps a
handfull of printers, a couple of CUPS servers and some dozends of users
though - so am I trying to spot something that doesn't yet exist?

If what I'm looking for *does* exist: how does CUPS scale here, especially
under heavy load from lots of users? So far I don't seem to be able to
spot any sort of "best practices" paper for such a CUPS cluster
configuration - anyone got an idea where I can look?

Your thoughts and suggestions on this are highly appreciated, thanks!

Kind regards

Gerard

INFO Gesellschaft für Informationssysteme AG
Zentrale Hamburg
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Frank Winkler
Vorstand: Ernst Müller (Vorstandsvorsitzender), Stefan Freyer, Holger Sievers, Hannes Zeiner
Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 36067

INFO Business Systems GmbH
Zentrale Hamburg
Geschäftsführung: Ernst Müller, Holger Sievers
Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 66606

Diese E-Mail könnte vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.