[cups.general] a2ps or similar function in a cups-1.3.7 install question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun May 18 09:55:04 PDT 2008

Greetings;

I have installed an HL-2140 Brother laser printer, and 99.99% of the time the
input file is Plain Old Ascii, formatted for a daisy wheel or old dmp
printer.  Or unformatted except for \n to mark the end of the lines.

I just counted a typical printout of unformatted stuff, and 62 lines is its
page length in this default mode, however the font its using only allows
about 75 chars per line on average.  The font used looks like Courior & is
proportional, and I would rather have a monospaced font for this.

Needless to say, when its fed lines of 80 chars width, it line wraps
inadvertently adding a line as it does, so in a long document the header line
descends down the page 1 to n lines a page.

So, I need to change the default font it is using, downward about 2 points so
it all fits then page correctly, and preferably to a mono spaced font.

Where can I change the default font that is being used for this text to raster
conversion?

This would be someplace in the path that would be used by:

#> lp -d lp3 filename

which is what the capture daemon uses when the file has arrived from another
machine via a USB extension cable.

Thank you.

--
Cheers, Gene