[cups.general] Slackware 12.1 (as root) and CUPS

Gerard.Jensen at info-ag.de Gerard.Jensen at info-ag.de
Mon May 19 03:30:02 PDT 2008

Hi,

> For a number of reasons, I am running Slackware 12.1 as root.  My
> CUPS setup is correct but passing the print job to my printer is
> denied because I am not part of the "lp"
> group. How can I get  CUPS to allow print requests to go to the
> printer as root?

Working permanently as root? Hm. There may be better ideas, but hey - each
to his own...

have a look at your cupsd-config. Check "User lp" and "Group lp" settings
as well as the "RunAsUser" entry (defines the user and group cupsd runs
under), and check your "SystemGroup" entry (specifies the group that may
administrate CUPS) - that may be set as "lp" but can of course also be set
to "root".

Also have a look at the "AuthGroupName" setting (defines the group of
users that can use the web interface) - in my default setup, that is set
to "sys" while the "SystemGroup" has not been set, so in order to get to
the admin interface, a user has to be member of the "sys" group instead.
You may want to change that as well.

> Marv

Kind regards
   Gerard

INFO Gesellschaft für Informationssysteme AG
Zentrale Hamburg
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Frank Winkler
Vorstand: Ernst Müller (Vorstandsvorsitzender), Stefan Freyer, Holger Sievers, Hannes Zeiner
Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 36067

INFO Business Systems GmbH
Zentrale Hamburg
Geschäftsführung: Ernst Müller, Holger Sievers
Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 66606

Diese E-Mail könnte vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.