[cups.general] option "-h server" versus cupsd on domain socket

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 21 07:55:02 PDT 2008

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Unfortunately "-h localhost" does not work if the local
> running cupsd does not listen on the 127.0.0.1 interface
> but only on the Unix domain socket, i.e. when there is
> in cupsd.conf
> # Only listen for connections from the local machine.
> #Listen localhost:631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

This is not a standard or supported configuration, however
you *can* use:

    -h /var/run/cups/cups.sock

to force a connection via the domain socket.

> Do you think it is a reasonable feature request that
> CUPS client tools talk via the domain socket as fallback
> when connecting via the 127.0.0.1 interface fails
> if "-h localhost" was specified?

No, if you specify a hostname, we should be using that hostname
and fail if the connection is not possible.  Changing things for
the user will just lead to unpredictable behavior.

> By the way:
> Is there a command line tool which tells me to which cupsd
> (i.e. hostname and port) it connects by default?

No, not at present.

> Would this be another reasonable feature request
> to let "lpstat -r" respond on which hostname and port the
> cupsd is running or where exactly it fails to connect?

We can't change the output format for "-r", but we could add another
option to report the default server and port.

http://www.cups.org/str.php