[cups.general] Problem with getting CUPS 1.3.5 to print to paused printer queues

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed May 21 09:38:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 06:59:55AM -0700, Basil Udoudoh wrote:

> I guess the question we have is: how do we make CUPS
> on the local machine ignore the fact that the remote machine print
> queue may be paused, and print to it anyway.

Not sure if this can be done with CUPS alone, however here's what
I'd do if I were you : on the print server, set the print quueue
which is accessed remotely in a manner that it is managed with
Tea4CUPS (http://www.pykota.com/software/) with 'tea4cups://' as the
DeviceURI. Then use Tea4CUPS' configuration file to move ALL
incoming print jobs out of the way of CUPS : your queue will always
be "available", and all CUPS along the way will consider them to
have been printed successfully, fixing your problem. Then you'll
have to script the release station, which will just be some way to
re-queue to the correct print queue (the one directly managed by the
release stattion) the print jobs which were put on hold through
Tea4CUPS.

I think you could have a basic working setup in a matter of hours.

bye

Jerome Alet