[cups.general] Shared printer: Who & What Print?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sat May 31 09:08:51 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 08:50:58AM -0700, Salvatore Baglieri wrote:
> A customer asked me a way to log what users print.
>
> Use case:
> X desktop users (Windows) -> Print
> Y desktop user (Windows) -> Check
>
> X print a document, his PC asks him an username and a passwrd and send the spool to the printer.
>
> Y wants a web interface with a log:
> datetime - user - printed_pdf.
>
> Do i need of a server with cups??

If you mean a print server, you only need CUPS, even for Windows
clients.

> Are there printers with all this system embedded?
>
> My idea is a virtual printer (as the PDFs one):
> 1. ask username
> 2. query on SQL db
> 3. send the spool to the cups server
>
> Is there something in java? I did something like this as fax sender.

If you absolutely can't do without Java for whatever reason, you can
use J-CUPS (there's a link on cups.org). This is Free Software
although I don't know if it really can be used without the remaining
parts of the ESUP educational web portal environment...

There's also PaperCut, written I think in Java, but it's proprietary
software.

> A friend of mine told me that I can build this using few bash
> commands. Is it possible?

Your friend is right, see 'man backend' and 'man bash', but why
reinvent the wheel ? Some people, including me, have reinvented it a
few times already :-)

If you don't care that much about Java, then other solutions exist...

hth

Jerome Alet