landscape printing from mac osx thru linux server

Neal neal at tippett.com
Thu May 1 16:28:49 PDT 2008

I have an issue with printing landscape from my mac via cups. It seems some ppd files work better than others, but none I've tried are able to successfully print in landscape. I'm currently using the foo2zjs HP-LaserJet_1022.ppd for my hp 1022n printer and it prints in landscape but the text gets cutoff.
Example:
I try print the following text from textedit:
"This is a test print from machinename."

but what gets printed in landscape is the following:
"s a test print from machinename."

It has no problems printing in portrait mode.

This problem does not occur when printing to our Lexmark Optra M410 from a mac. The problem also does not occur when printing from a linux machine to  either printers.

I am currently trying to get a Xerox Phaser 8560N to print in landscape from a mac, and it is having the same issue. Printing from Textedit does not work in landscape mode, but commandline printing in landscape mode works fine. This applies only to the Xerox Phaser 8560N printer and not the hp 1022n printer. Anybody have any ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.

My setup is:
cups server: Linux 2.6.20
cups version: 1.3.6
printing from mac os 10.4.8

notes. I've had this problem from the the first install of cups version 1.2.10 and all versions in between. I'm thinking about using a mac as the cups server.