[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2814: Support AllowedChars for String/Password type custom PPD options

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon May 12 12:32:15 PDT 2008

[STR New]

I am not sure whether I am right, but the min, max, allowed characters, ...
should be enforced once by the driver (as foomatic-rip does it already for
the Foomatic string and password options), and second, by the client-side
GUIs, like the web interfaces, and all printing dialogs which support
custom options.

So it should be done the following:

1. Lars, your patch to let the CUPS web interface support the custom
options should also enforce all restrictions of these options. So do not
let it accept too long or too short strings, and also not input which
violates your new [parameter of allowed characters. But make sure that if
a PPD does not have your restriction on allowed characters that this is
counted as no restriction, to be backward compatible wth older PPDs.

2. Lars, you (and also Alex) should take into account that the
restrictions get read out and enforced in the Common Printing Dialog.

3. Mike, George, Lars, and anyone else here who develops CUPS filters
(printer drivers) should make sure that the filters/drivers enforce the
restrictions of the custom options.

Mike, am I right? Or does the CUPS core (scheduler, libcups, ...) also
enforce the restrictions of these options? And if yes, where?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2814
Version:  -feature