[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2814: Support AllowedChars for String/Password type custom PPD options

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:01:39 PDT 2008

[STR New]

Mike, I agree with you to use Posix regexps for restricting the allowed
characters. This is much more flexible and even allows a basic syntax
check of the input. AFAIR there is also a C library for parsing POSIX
regexps (Lars, you have probably used that for foomatic-rip). So let's
settle on that.

As the CUPS core is not involved in the enforcing of the restrictions, we
should go the way of my previous posting.

So we can delegate most of the fix to Lars: Lars, can you update the patch
 for the web interface, foomatic-rip, and also implement this in the Common
Printing Dialog (if it falls into your area, otherwise it is Alex' task).

Mike, your part of the implementation will be to update the documentation,
and perhaps some rasterto... drivers of CUPS, CUPS DDK, and perhaps
Gutenprint.

But at first we have to agree on the syntax. My suggestion is to follow
Lars' suggestion but replacing the character list by a POSIX regexp.

Lars, then this will be more or less an equivalent of
"*FoomaticRIPOptionAllowedRegExp" keyword. A Character lis as supplied
with the "*FoomaticRIPOptionAllowedChars" keyword has to be surrounded by

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2814
Version:  -feature