[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2835: libcups make blocking connect() calls, preventing me to print

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Tue May 27 08:57:24 PDT 2008

[STR New]

I have two printers in my office:
- 10.0.0.153  Kyocera FS-1030D
- 10.0.0.2 Brother MFC7860n

I want to use the second one. The first one is not mine and drop all
packets to 10.0.0.153:631 (I don't know why, but that should not be a
problem since I don't want to use this printer).

When evince try to list the list of printers, it blocks on the following
call:
connect(19, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(631),
sin_addr=inet_addr("10.0.0.153")}, 16

So I cannot print, even if the second printer is the default printer,
because programs using libcups hangs on connect() before showing the
printer list.

Workaround:
iptables -A OUTPUT -d 10.0.0.153 -j REJECT
With this workaround, I can successfully select my printer and print.

It should probably use asynchronous connect().

I am using Debian Sid with libcupsys2 1.3.7-5 packaged by Debian.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2835
Version: 1.3.7