[cups.general] CUPS and Kerberos Question

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 5 13:31:32 PST 2008

On 2008 Nov 5, at 15:36, Justin Funk wrote:
> I had a question regarding the documentation for implementing CUPS
> and Kerberos.
>
> The section titled "Implementation Information" says that CUPS
> implements Kerberos over the service ipp. Does that mean I can only
> use Kerberos when I have a printer connected through the ipp
> protocol? Or am I able to use Kerberos Authentication on a printer
> that is connected via the socket protocol?

For that to make sense, you would need to have a printer which used
Kerberos auth and defined a (nonstandard) authentication protocol.

If what you really want is to control access to the server's print
queue for the printer, the connection to the printer itself is
irrelevant.  But access to the print server must be over ipp:  I don't
think CUPS implements the lpd extensions from the moribund LPRng
project, and socket protocol doesn't make sense for this.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu