[cups.general] CUPS filters for handling MS Word files

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Nov 6 15:56:15 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 02:54:31PM -0800, Anuj wrote:

> I was wondering if there are any CUPS filters out there for handling
>  MS Word files? I read in the previous posts that it is possible to
>  write a custom filter that could use OpenOffice or AntiWord or wvWare
>  to convert Word files into PostScript for input to CUPS. Are there any
>  such filters available for download or do I have to go about writing
>  one on my own? Any inputs on this would be really appreciated.

You could do this relatively easily from a CUPS backend with the help
of such a filter :

 xvfb-run -a abiword \
                --import-extension=.doc \
                --print=output.ps
                input.prn

Where input.prn would be the output of CUPS' filtering process (you have
to copy it to a real file I think), i.e. your backend's standard input
(usually) and output.ps is the final PostScript document.

Instead of writing your own backend to do this, I suggest you use
Tea4CUPS available from http://www.pykota.com, this will let you
concentrate on what you really want to do, and will do the dirty work
for you.

bye

Jerome Alet