[cups.general] Output being sent to printer in PS format instead of raster

ulrich.lauther at t-online.de ulrich.lauther at t-online.de
Sun Nov 9 01:16:42 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 05:15:43PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008, ulrich.lauther at t-online.de wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 02:18:31PM -0800, Tim Keenan wrote:
> >> Page printed by printer starts with %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %%BoundingBox...
> >
> >I have the same problem with a Brother_DCP-7010, CUPS 1.3.5,
> >Brother_DCP-7010_USB_1.ppd.
> >
> >But ONLY with groff-generated PostScript files. Files from e.g. a2ps print
> >o.k.
> >
> >groff-generated files print fine, if first converted to pdf.
> >
> >So what's wrong with these ps-files?
>
> Probably nothing, other than you might be sending them with the -oraw option,
> which bypasses ghostscript?

not that I know. I use just "lpr name.ps".
This works fine with PostScript-files, unless they have been  generated
by groff.
There must be a mechanism somewhere that tries to distinguish between
plain text and PostScript and this mechanism seems to fail with
groff-generated files - but I cannot find out why.

Best, ulrich