gzip decompression not always working

Opher Shachar ophers at ladpc.co.il
Mon Nov 10 07:29:59 PST 2008

> Opher Shachar wrote:
> > But if I issue the command:
> >
> >    lp MyPostscriptFile.gz -odocument-format=text/plain
> >
> > to get the postscript source to print I get gibberish and the following in error_log:
>
> Of course you get gibberish - you are telling the system to use
> text/plain as the format and it just obeys.  You can use
> "-o document-compression=gzip" to get the file uncompressed during
> printing, but if you override the auto-detection you have to do it
> fully.

I have both a CUPS 1.2.4 (on RH 5.2) and CUPS 1.2.12 (on Fedora). I tried
    lp MyPostscriptFile.gz -odocument-format=text/plain -odocument-compression=gzip
but the result was the same (save that 'document-compression=gzip' was now added to the fifth positional parameter).
Going over the code for ipp.c it seems there's no code to handle this attribute.

Is this attribute implemented on 1.3.9? 1.4?

Thanks,
Opher.