[cups.general] gzip decompression not always working

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 08:36:11 PST 2008

Opher Shachar wrote:
>>> But if I issue the command:
>>>
>>>    lp MyPostscriptFile.gz -odocument-format=text/plain
>>>
>>> to get the postscript source to print I get gibberish and the following in error_log:
>> Of course you get gibberish - you are telling the system to use
>> text/plain as the format and it just obeys.  You can use
>> "-o document-compression=gzip" to get the file uncompressed during
>> printing, but if you override the auto-detection you have to do it
>> fully.
>
> I have both a CUPS 1.2.4 (on RH 5.2) and CUPS 1.2.12 (on Fedora). I tried
>     lp MyPostscriptFile.gz -odocument-format=text/plain -odocument-compression=gzip
> but the result was the same (save that 'document-compression=gzip' was now added to the fifth positional parameter).
> Going over the code for ipp.c it seems there's no code to handle this attribute.
>
> Is this attribute implemented on 1.3.9? 1.4?

It is implemented in CUPS 1.2, however cupsd will auto-detect the
compression of the document when it auto-types the print file so
you normally don't need to specify the type of compression used.

If that isn't working, please file a bug:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

(Note that the bug will only be fixed in 1.3.x and beyond, since we
do not backport patches to 1.2 or earlier.  Ask Red Hat to backport
if you need it...)