[cups.general] Output being sent to printer in PS format instead of raster

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 10 10:48:06 PST 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008, ulrich.lauther at t-online.de wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 11:56:51AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> level 2 instead of 3?  Give me a sample cli, like using groff to print a
>> man page, and I'll see if it works here.
>
>for those who want to reproduce the problem:
>
>echo "Hello World" | groff -Tps | lpr
>
>but caution: needs 5 sheets of paper on my Brother_DCP-7010_USB_1.

The -Tps is its default, and a test run to files to compare them yields only
the creation date diff here.

One thing I noted in both generated files here is diff from what you sent me,
in addition to the spelling of "Hallo", at the bottom it uses pure numerical
ascii character representation.

/F0 10/Times-Roman at 0 SF<48656c6c6f2057>72 12 Q<6f726c64>-.8 E 0 Cg EP
                         H e l l o   W          o r l d

No idea what causes it, and I believe its legal postscript, but it sure is
odd.

And it prints a single blank sheet on my HL-2140 using the HL2070 driver as
Brother suggests.

Is there, someplace in the *nix world, a ps file checker?