Printer sharing problem

Craig Fulton msggumby99 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 14:00:52 PST 2008

> Craig Fulton wrote:
> > The permissions for the directory /private/var/spool/cups/cache/rss are incorrect!
> > They are drwxrwxr-x, but should be drwxr-xr-x
> > Repaired.
> > The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-1 is missing!
> > The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/iso-8859-2 is missing!
> > The file /usr/share/cups/charsets/windows-1258 is missing!
>
> The charsets files are not used on Mac OS X (which is why they have
> been removed in later Mac OS X releases).  Similarly, the permission
> change is necessary to support RSS subscriptions and was made in a
> later software update.  Unfortunately, the "repair permissions" tool
> in Disk Utility only uses the original installation information to
> verify things...
>
> That said, this is *not* a CUPS software issue on your Mac, so don't
> try to install any CUPS files there.  Instead, look at the
> /var/log/cups/access_log file (open the Console utility and click on
> "Show Log Files") - you should see the Windows system accessing the
> Mac when you add the printer.  If you don't, verify that the Vista
> firewall is allowing the traffic to your Mac.
>
> --

Hello, I did some research and I think I might have stumbled on to something but here is what I found. Just for information this also happens on my XP laptop.

Window Firewall is OFF, I am running Norton 2009 Internet security on the Vista machine. I checked the set up and smart firewall is on. Bonjour is set to receive and send other than that is there any other setting that could help.

My DSL connects to my Airport express. My HP C6280 is connected to my iMac and I am working wireless from my Vista and XP computer

I went thru the Bonjour and it saw the computer and printer let me go thru the steps but did not connect. I opened the log file and watched my lights on my DSL box and they never moved. The log file did not log anything. The internet works fine thru the AE. I hope I provided enough information.  Thanks