[cups.general] filter oopstops

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Nov 12 07:02:59 PST 2008

alet at librelogiciel.com wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 07:47:02AM -0800, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>>Sorry, due to a backup operation, the previous version and
>>documentation had been reloaded.
>

> Why do you run Xvfb directly instead of using the xvfb-run utility ?
> So you wouldn't have to search for an existing display and/or create a
> new one, this would be transparent.
Well, because xvfb-run is not generally available - it is a specialized
wrapper program from one (I've forgotten which one) Linux vendor, whereas
Xvfb ist a standard utility which is part of any reasonable X11 installation.

> Also you may want to switch to 'abiword' when OpenOffice is not
> installed, with a command line like (example for MS stuff, worked last
> time I checked) :
>
> xvfb-run -a \
>          abiword --import-extension=.doc \
>                  --print=outputfile.ps \
>                  inputfile.doc
>
> the '--import-extension' switch is necessary if the input file has no
> extension.
The same holds for abiword; and, as for me, OpenOffice is quite well
understand with respect to things like word compatibility and PostScript
output.

> hth
>
> Jerome Alet

Helge