[cups.general] PDF printing

alet at librelogiciel.com alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Nov 12 07:04:32 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:54:27PM +0100, Per Qvindesland wrote:

> I am looking at setting up a print server that I would like to save all
> prints to a folder as a pdf and then a second program
> http://www.qoppa.com/pas/pasindex.html will convert the program to a
> jpeg file (to save space) and then do the actual printout a normal
> printer.
>
> My question is if there is any pdf printer that will do just that or if
> I am trying to achieve something really off the scale stupid here.

If I were you, considering qpoppa's price, I'd seriously look for
alternatives...

You can do all this and more with Tea4CUPS for free (or 25$ if you
want). The only limit is your ability to use environment variables in
your language of choice, and your ability to combine command line tools
like ghostscript, imagemagick, lp, etc... in *nix pipes to achieve the
desired result.

You can download Tea4CUPS with subversion :

  svn co http://svn.pykota.com/tea4cups/trunk tea4cups

and look at tea4cups/tea4cups.conf, which contains a partial example of
what you want to do.

hth

Jerome Alet