[cups.general] Output being sent to printer inPSformatinsteadof raster

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Nov 13 09:24:19 PST 2008

ulrich.lauther at t-online.de wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 06:36:59AM -0800, Helge Blischke wrote:
>
>>>here ist the output of echo "Hello World" | groff -T ps > hello.ps
>>>

> [stuff deleted]
>
>>This file is, as far as I can see, perfectly DSC conforming.
>>Could you try to - temprarily - modify your printer queue to write
>>to a file instead and post that? Then we may have a look at what
>>the filter chain has produced.
>>

> what's the easiest way to change the printer queue that way?
>
> and shall I also send any log-files?
>
> 	-ulrich

(1) shut down CUPS
(2) in $ETC/cups/cupsd.conf, add the directive
	FileDevice Yes
(3) make a copy of your $ETC/cups/printers.conf
     (use a file name as you like),
     edit the printers.conf as follows:
     - replace the DeviceURI directive of the
       printer in question by
	DeviceURI file:/var/tmp/test.ps
       (or any file name you like)
(4) restart CUPS and print your sample file
     to the modified printer
(5) verify your resulting file is not empty
(6) shut down CUPS
(7) restore your $ETC/cups/printers.conf from your
     saved copy
(8) start CUPS

This may look a little arkward, but is the safest way
to do so.

The log files are welcome - the "debug2" is not necessary.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org

Pflichtangaben seit 1.1.2007: Satz-Rechen-Zentrum Hartmann+Heenemann GmbH&Co. KG Sitz Berlin AG
Charlottenburg HRA 8089 Komplementärin Satz-Rechner-Betriebsgesellschaft mbH Sitz Berlin AG
Charlottenburg HRB 4905 Geschäftsführer Walter Fock