Printing monochrome in different colors

Raoul Bönisch jkl345 at gmx.net
Fri Nov 14 05:23:24 PST 2008

Hello!

I'd like to print monochrome in severeal colors with CUPS. The combinations I need are black/white, blue/white, red/white and yellow/white.

How can I accomplish this task? I have a colour printer set up and running. To be precise, it is an old dot matrix printer with a four color ribbon. When the black ribbon wears off I would like to use the other color ribbons before changing the cartridge.

I have two ideas to solve this problem. The one is to use PPD options and Postscript commands to convert all colors of the document printed to the desired color. The other is to use an initialization string to set the printer to color mode right before the job is being printed, but after the initialization of the printer.

Any help?