Set photo quality and paper size with lpoptions and/or web interface

Laszlo Nagy nagylzs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 02:08:47 PST 2008

I would like to print to different media on my Epson R265 photo printer:

- A4 plain paper, standard quality for invoices
- 9x13cm glossy photo for photos
- A4 draft print quality for address labels

I need to print these automatically from automated programs, using lpr. I was trying to do this with printer instances, but I could not. First I tried to setup options using lpoptions. However, print quality is NOT listed!

Here is what I see by default:

media=A4 finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info='EPSON Stylus Photo R265' printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location printer-make-and-model='Epson Stylus Photo R265 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2 Simplified' printer-state=5 printer-state-change-time=1227085737 printer-state-reasons=paused printer-type=8556556

Then I change print quality using the web interface and run lpoptions again:

media=A4 finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info='EPSON Stylus Photo R265' printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location printer-make-and-model='Epson Stylus Photo R265 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2 Simplified' printer-state=5 printer-state-change-time=1227085737 printer-state-reasons=paused printer-type=8556556

There is no visible change! So how can I change print quality (called "Media Type" on the web interface) from lpoptions?

Since lpoptions did not work, I tried to add printer instances on the web interface, and change the media type there.However, it seems to me that printer instances cannot be managed through the web interface. Simply there is no such thing on the web admin interface. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

   Laszlo