Restricting who can see what in the Jobs list?

Jeremy Koppel jkoppel at bluecanopy.com
Tue Nov 25 09:19:04 PST 2008

I'm setting up a new instance of CUPS in a Gentoo VM (version 1.3.8), and am
trying to modify the default policy.  By default, everyone can see all the
active and completed jobs, and for our shared environment, this is not
ideal.  I would like the owner of a job to be able to see their active and
completed jobs, and only allow specific users to see all the jobs.

Based on the documentation, it looked like I needed to specify the Get-Jobs
and / or Get-Job-Attributes Operation(s), so I added them to the Job-related
operations subsection:

# Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an administrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs
Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job Get-Jobs Get-Job-Attributes>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM @wheel @IT
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

But while the other Operations seem to be working (for example, a user not
in a group with elevated privileges cannot cancel jobs that they don't own),
I don't get the behavior I expected from Get-Jobs.  Instead of promting for
authentication, it simply removes the "Show Completed Jobs" and "Show All
Jobs" links fro the printer's page, and the main Jobs tab.

I get the same behavior if I instead make my own subsection like this:

<Limit Get-Jobs Get--Job-Attributes>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM @wheel @IT
    Order deny,allow
</Limit>

How can I restrict this list the way I'm looking for?

--Jeremy