[cups.general] Upgrading RHEL5.2 with CUPS 1.2.4 to CUPS 1.3.9

Henri S henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Tue Nov 25 16:41:51 PST 2008

Is it important that you are running RHEL5?

If you do not mind Debian or Ubuntu, then you can just apt-get what ever
componets you require. In addition, I belive that by default the latest
releases of both Debain and Ubuntu install CUPS 1.3.9 by default if you
select print server during the setup process.

Just another possibility.. But this will depend on wheather having a
different OS will be a possibility.

Also, if you are upgrading your CUPS install or moving to a new server,
then you may want to look at PrinterSetup. The latest version of
PrintersSetup will be able to pull all the queues from one server into
PSFs (printer setup files) and then you can simply copy this PrinterSetup
configuration to another server and run printersetup to setup all the
queues again. In the long term this will mean that you can very easily
move queus between servers or setup failover servers. However, if you only
have one or two CUPS queues, just configuring the new queues by hand or
copying the CUPS configurerarons accross may be a quicker option.

Hope this helps.