[cups.development] INFO vs STATE

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 06:18:32 PST 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> We may display printer status by writing strings to stdout.
>
> Also, there are some prefix, such as INFO and STATE.
>
> What's the difference between the two? when to use INFO, when to use STATE?

See "man 7 filter".

Basically, STATE modifies the printer-state-reasons attribute which
provides persistent condition information - out of paper, out of ink,
etc. that you want to report to the user.  Reason strings can also be
mapped to specific text and help pages to guide the user.

ALERT, CRIT, DEBUG, DEBUG2, EMERG, ERROR, INFO, and NOTICE are used
to set the printer-state-message attribute and are overridden by the
on the printer, however we also recommend using STATE messages for
any conditions that are longer-lived or when you need to report more
than one condition simultaneously.