[cups.development] Bonjour printer DEVICE_URI

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 08:30:48 PST 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi mike,
>
> I am confusing what DEVICE_URI will be use for the network printers.

Please read the Bonjour printing specification.  It is available
on www.dns-sd.org.

> For example, my printer is advertising multiple service types:
> _pdl-datastream._tcp
> _printer._tcp
> _ipp._tcp
>
> My printer can be found in browsing list, some Mac add it with device uri as _pdl-datastream._tcp, but some Mac using _printer._tcp.
> What is the key point to decide the device uri for this?

The priority field in your TXT record.  If omitted, _pdl-datastream
has priority over _ipp, which has priority over _printer.

> For those printers using _printer._tcp, the mdns cannot resolve
 > the address of my printer. so the driver cannot work at all, job
 > stuck in the queue. Any suggestion?

Don't advertise a protocol you don't support?  Add a priority field
to your TXT records so we don't use it?