[cups.development] Define the printer list

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at revolutionlinux.com
Tue Nov 11 10:32:26 PST 2008

Hi,

We face an issue with the printer list displayed to the user in large
environment. We need the ability to display only some of the printers,
since other printers are not relevant.

We did that by changing libcups cupsGetDests to make it return only
selected printers, based on a configuration parameter. That way, all
cups aware applications are getting the same printer list, and no
changes on server side are necessary.

The patch is based on glib, so I guess it has to be reimplemented to
avoid adding a new dependency to libcups, and probably needs major
rework, but the idea is there.

https://svn.revolutionlinux.com/MILLE/XTERM/branches/ltsp-cluster/cups-client-filter/libhideprinters/libhideprinters.c

We are looking for a permanent solution for this problem. Comments welcome.

Have a nice day,

Francis

--
Francis Giraldeau, Ing jr.
Analyste Infrastructure

Revolution Linux Inc.
2100 King ouest - bureau 260
Sherbrooke (Québec)
J1J 2E8 CANADA

http://www.revolutionlinux.com

Toutes les opinions et les prises de position exprimees dans ce courriel
sont celles de son auteur et ne representent pas necessairement celles
de Revolution Linux

Any views and opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Revolution Linux