[cups.development] Define the printer list

Francis Giraldeau francis.giraldeau at revolutionlinux.com
Wed Nov 12 07:27:11 PST 2008

Michael R Sweet a écrit :
> Francis Giraldeau wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We face an issue with the printer list displayed to the user in large
>> environment. We need the ability to display only some of the printers,
>> since other printers are not relevant.
>>
>> We did that by changing libcups cupsGetDests to make it return only
>> selected printers, based on a configuration parameter. That way, all
>> cups aware applications are getting the same printer list, and no
>> changes on server side are necessary.
>>
>> The patch is based on glib, so I guess it has to be reimplemented to
>> avoid adding a new dependency to libcups, and probably needs major
>> rework, but the idea is there.
>>
>> https://svn.revolutionlinux.com/MILLE/XTERM/branches/ltsp-cluster/cups-client-filter/libhideprinters/libhideprinters.c
>>
>> We are looking for a permanent solution for this problem. Comments welcome.
>>

> OK, don't expect to see a solution like this in CUPS.  What you might
> see is the ability to make use of the location and type filters, and
> possibly some host/printer filtering in the client.conf file.
>
> The way this issue has been "solved" on Mac OS X is to use a per-user
> plist (XML) file to track "favorite" remote printers, such that users
> can choose one or more remote printers to show in the print dialog in
> addition to the local queues.  In 10.4, a "Shared Printers" submenu was
> used to pick remote printers, which then were promoted to the top-level
> printer chooser menu.  In 10.5, the user picks the printers from the
> Add Printer window instead.

Thanks for the feedback. We agree that this feature should be on the
client side, to display a printer list corresponding to user preference.
It allows two users of the same cups server to get printer list as they
want.

It seems that Mac OS X applications are using a common, higher level
framework for printing than under Linux, where printing panels are
linked directly to libcups. As you may know, within an open source
desktop, each application may use a different dialog for printing. It's
hard to modify each printing dialog to make then show a custom printer
list. (It could, but then I should ask to freedesktop guys.) Since
(mostly) all panels are all linked to libcups, in my point of view, it
make sens to add the ability to use a custom printer list to libcups.
And it's not mandatory that Mac OS X is using this feature if it's not
relevant to that platform.

And for the software itself, it's more a proof of concept, but with a
new spec, I could make it production ready, even with a little gui to
let the user configure it's printer list.

I will start a thread on that topic on freedesktop to get some feedback
on that.

Cheer,

Francis Giraldeau

--
Francis Giraldeau, Ing jr.
Analyste Infrastructure

Revolution Linux Inc.
2100 King ouest - bureau 260
Sherbrooke (Québec)
J1J 2E8 CANADA

http://www.revolutionlinux.com

Toutes les opinions et les prises de position exprimees dans ce courriel
sont celles de son auteur et ne representent pas necessairement celles
de Revolution Linux

Any views and opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Revolution Linux