authentication problem

baptiste delporte baptiste.delporte at u-psud.fr
Fri Oct 3 07:32:46 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm new to CUPS and actually trying to set up a complete configuration with OpenLDAP.

I've been searching in CUPS help pages and tried many options since 2 days, but haven't found any clear answer to my problem.
Several printers are defined in my printers.conf, I'm using authentication against LDAP to allow my users to use some printers, and leave the others printers for another departement.

I've set up the 'Require' option as follows :

<Location /printers/myprinter1>
<Limit ALL>
AuthType Basic
Order Deny,Allow
Allow From All
Require group group1 group2
</Limit>
</Location>

I've configured my CUPS server as an LDAP client, and authentication works fine for authorized users,
they appear in access_log and can print. When I try to print using a login which belongs to an unauthorized
group, the access_log file endlessly fills with that error message :

util1 [03/Oct/2008:11:20:32 +0200] "POST /printers/myprinter1 HTTP/1.1" 401 0
[...]
util1 [03/Oct/2008:11:20:32 +0200] "POST /printers/myprinter1 HTTP/1.1" 401 0

The user can't print (which is OK), but the application I try to print from (OO,iceweasel,kedit...) crashes most
of the time. I'm actually searching for a way to tell the user he cannot print, and also stop filling the access_log file on my CUPS server.

Anyone has already met this problem ? I've tried many options in cupsd.conf but doesn't have any clue left for the moment ...

Thanks for your help :)