Canon Pixma iP4500 - problem with colours

Mike Clarke UCEblock at milibyte.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 09:28:13 PDT 2008

I've just installed a Canon Pixma iP4500 on a FreeBSD 6.3 system using CUPS
and gutenprint. Black printing is fine but I've got problems with colours.
The colour wheel on the CUPS test page comes out as a psychedelic
collection of brightly coloured rings.

This isn't a physical problem with the printer, I get good results when
printing from Windows.

If I print from Gimp then the correct colours appear but they are very dark
and "muddy". I can improve this a bit by fiddling about with the Gimp
printer settings but the results still aren't as good as I can get from
Windows. Printing from any other application just produces totally wrong
psychedelic colours. There's an example showing an original file and a
couple of scans of prints at <http://www.milibyte.co.uk/colours.pdf>. The
images have lost some quality in the scanning but effectively demonstrate
what's happening.

I'm using the ppd file generated
from /usr/local/share/cups/model/gutenprint/5.1/en_GB/stp-bjc-PIXMA-iP4500.5.1.ppd.gz.

--
Mike Clarke