[cups.general] CUPS, Kerberos, and ServerName

Rick Cochran rcc2 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 13 12:15:41 PDT 2008

Michael R Sweet wrote:
> All of the Apple GUIs now respect the client.conf file, so a per-user
> ~/.cups/client.conf file can point to the per-user cupsd's domain
> socket, and then everything works as before.

gibbie> cat ~/.cups/client.conf
ServerName page4.cit.cornell.edu
gibbie> lpstat -a
ansel-k accepting requests since Fri Jul 18 16:09:58 2008
gibbie>

Print dialog box for Firefox says "No Printer Selected".  In other words, the
Apple printing system does not seem to know about "ansel-k".

Client: MacOS X 10.5.4
Server: RHEL AS5, CUPS 1.3.7

I can see a lot of debug-mode output in the Linux server's CUPS log when I open
the print dialog on the Mac, but it doesn't make it into the Mac's list of printers.

One thing I see in the error log is this:

Get-Printer-Attributes ipp://localhost/printers/
get_printer_attrs(0x8e6a600[7], ipp://localhost/printers/ )
Get-Printer-Attributes client-error-not-found: The printer or class was not found.

What does this mean?  What do I have to do to get remote printers to show up in
MacOS X application dialog boxes?

-Rick