extra form feed

joe jps3318 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 08:16:46 PDT 2008

Plain text documents printed using cups 1.3.7 are getting an extra form feed at the end.  This problem does not occur when printing with cups 1.1.17.

The documents are pure ascii text, with one "\n" at the end of each line, and one "\f" at the end of each page. I've done a hexdump to verify there are no extra control characters at the end of the documents before they go to the spooler.

The printer is configured as follows:

<DefaultPrinter X>
Info Samsung ML-2571 Laser Printer
Location Bob's Office
DeviceURI socket://bobs_printer:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1224208088
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy abort-job
</Printer>

I found a post that said to disable page accounting as a work around, but that didn't work. There was also mention of a DefaultSendFF which sounded promising. I added *DefaultSendFF: False to my ppd file, but that did not work either.

The system with the blank page problem is running:
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)

and the cups software packages are:

# rpm -qa|grep cups
cups-1.3.7-4.fc8
hal-cups-utils-0.6.13-2.fc8
cupsddk-drivers-1.2.3-3.fc8
cups-libs-1.3.7-4.fc8
libgnomecups-0.2.2-11.fc8
bluez-utils-cups-3.20-7.fc8

The system that doesn't have a blank page at the end of every print job is running:
#cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)

and the cups packages are:

#rpm -qa|grep cups
cups-1.1.17-13
qtcups-2.0-15
cups-libs-1.1.17-13

Should I be reporting this as a bug?  Please advise.  Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction.