Try 2: Can not print formatted text.

sreekant kodela sreekant_kodela at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 10:56:44 PDT 2008

Hi folks

I have a new problem. I used cups for some time. Recently I reinstalled crux linux after a partition blew it's gasket.

I have a hp officejet j5780. I installed hplip and cups.
hplip 2.7.6-1
foomatic-filters 3.0.2-1
ghostscript 8.63-1
cups 1.3.8-1

If I print an image it prints perfectly. If I print the test images from either cups or from hp-toolbox they print fine. However if I try to print from the likes of openoffice or a textfile they do print but with complete disregard for spacing and formatting. No matter how I screen format the document, when I print it it comes out with no space whatsoever between successive lines. And I meant no space, the bottom of topline and top of bottom line are almost joined.

I tried various other PPD files including the one from linuxprinting.org and from hpijs and gutenprint etc. No joy.

Evenmore annoying is that I have a PCLinux installed in another partition with same ppd file as the driver and with similar setup. I even compared the files in /etc/cups/* between two installations without much use. Only real difference is the one under PCLinux is an older version of cups/gutenprint etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

# lpoptions
Default hp Collate=true Quality=300ColorCMYK fitplot=true prettyprint=true

# cupsd.conf

LogLevel info

SystemGroup sys root

Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all

DefaultAuthType Basic

<Location />
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

<Location /admin>
  Encryption Required
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
</Location>

<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>
   Order deny,allow
  </Limit>

#printers.conf

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.8
# Written by cupsd on 2008-10-18 13:16
<Printer fax>
Info fax
DeviceURI hpfax:/usb/Officejet_J5700_series?serial=CN7B1CF2K104TB
State Idle
StateTime 1224347056
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
<Printer hp>
Info HP Officejet J5700 series
Location Local Printer
DeviceURI hp:/usb/Officejet_J5700_series?serial=CN7B1CF2K104TB
State Idle
StateTime 1224350191
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes