CUPS, LDAP and user groups

Dmitry juravlev at lmsh.edu.ru
Wed Oct 22 10:48:17 PDT 2008

> Dmitry wrote:
> > But the question is -- how to make CUPS check users and groups against LDAP and not only against local files?
>
> As long as nsswitch.conf points the passwd and group files to LDAP,

> CUPS uses PAM when available for Basic authentication.  The
> /etc/pam.d/cups file defines the auth modules to use on Linux.

Ah! I have found the origin of the problem.

In my case CUPS authenticates users against LDAP (that's how my PAM is  configured), BUT it looks for user groups in 'group' file, because NSS is configured this way:

passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap
shadow:         files ldap

So it checks the user groups in local files and doesn't want to look into LDAP (so CUPS takes first result which is negative in my case).

Is it possible to tell CUPS to look into LDAP anyway WHITHOUT rewriting nsswitch.conf?