[cups.general] Leopard Client

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 23 11:39:10 PDT 2008

Tom Allison wrote:
> Meanwhile I was upgrading one of my notebooks to the new Leopard
> installation of the Mac OSX.  Not a darn thing works.  There's no
> client.conf file on the notebook anymore and just a dumb cups server on
> a notebook.

Note that doing a major OS upgrade does not migrate all
configuration files since that can yield a broken install very
easily.

You can create a new client.conf file (sudo vi /etc/cups/client.conf)
to point it at the existing CUPS server.

> And a lot of comments on the internet about how badly broken the new
> Leopard is for the Cups printers.

Shared printing *is* handled differently by default, which can be
a problem when using non-Mac CUPS servers with Mac clients.  In
particular, the default browsing protocols have changed and the
"Shared Printers" submenu is gone.

Run:

     cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups Browsing=Yes

from the Terminal window on each client, and then add the printers
you want to see (they'll show up as "CUPS Shared" in the Add Printer
window).

Oh, and BTW don't assume Apple won't be helpful with these
configurations - we *do* test for compatibility...