Backend not finding USB printer

Stewart sandreas41 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 12:55:49 PDT 2008

> Somehow, my Canon Pixma USB printer no longer prints.

> Dare I ask what broke it? I did not upgrade or change anything.

I found it. If anybody else gets this frustrating condition, it seems a new version of Turboprint got installed a little while ago, and it destroyed /dev/usb/lp[1234567] and /dev/usblp[1234567] by turning them into text files, or perhaps they did not exist last month.

Text files in the /dev[/usb] directory throw wrenches into the works.
so, more than just lp0 is needed.

Solution: mknod them back into existance, and backend finds the printer.

Cheers!