[cups.general] Apple Cups Solution

Tom Allison tom at tacocat.net
Tue Oct 28 15:50:45 PDT 2008

I have found the solution to something that might be of value to the
Cups community.

Apple made some changes with the Leopard installation that causes some
problems with printing.  Namely, they removed the client configuration
and some applications seem to just crash for me.

Namely, Preview, Safari and others will crash almost immediately after
attempting to print anything.  Meanwhile, non Apple products, like
Mozilla and Firefox can print once you copy the cups client.conf file
into the right location.

Apple gave a highly Microsoft-ish solution.  You must have done the
upgrade (to Leopard) wrong.  You'll have to format and reinstall.

Here's a fix that is consistent with Apple and Cups and won't require
you to do anything stupid:

on the apple computer go to localhost:631 and add a printer.
Make it a IPP printer using the URL from the cups server to see the
printer queue.  Example:
http://192.168.1.2:631/printers/Kyocera_FS-1010_USB_2.  Except change
the http to ipp.

Set it to RAW.  This passes everything to the parent server and
processes the content there and not at your apple computer.

This seems to work very well on several computers I've set up so far.

But the essentials of the solution are to use the localhost cups server
to queue and pass the print jobs to the next print server.

I hope someone finds this helpful.  I certainly did but it took me days
to find the solution.