setup server on mac OS 10.4 serving lab of macs using 10.5

scacinto scacinto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 07:49:11 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm currently attempting to setup a shared computer attached to an old iMac G4 with OS 10.4 and running CUPS 1.3.9 using an HP LaserJet  5200 printer.  The computers in the lab that need to share this computer are all macs of various kinds running 10.5.  I have been able to print to the shared computer, but cannot set limits as indicated in the CUPS Manual.

The I set up the Server machine using the web interface, not the built-in mac Print Pref from System Prefs.  Then, on the lab machines, I did use the System pref pane to discover the shared printer, which appeared as a bonjour shared device.

I then attempted to set the limit using the following commands from Terminal.

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer -o job-quota-period=2592000
/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer -o job-page-limit=1

the 1 here is just to see if it lets me print a second page, which it did -- which is my problem.  Could someone let me know where my approach has gone off?  I'd also appreciate any mac-specific setup instructions if they exist... Google has produced nothing of this nature.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if the answer exists somewhere in the list.

-Scacinto