[cups.bugs] Failure to Print Multiple Copiee with Raw Option

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 2 08:11:01 PDT 2008

Lucky Leavell wrote:
> I have been testing Don Badrak's pdfraw filter script on a RHEL5.2 system (CUPS v1.2.4) installed under VMware and have run into a problem I have been unable to resolve, namely, the filter works fine for PDF files but others fail with
>
>     Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!
>
> for example, when trying to print a test page from the CUPS web interface, or:
>
>     cat /etc/hosts | lp -d npc_hpdj_c_1
>     lp: Unsupported format 'text/plain'!
>
> when trying to print a simple text file.
>
> The first two lines of the PPD file are:
>
>     *PPD-Adobe: "4.3"
>     *cupsFilter: "application/pdf 0 pdfraw"
>
> If I comment out the second line and restart cupsd, it works fine for the two examples given but does not handle PDF files properly (as expected).
>
> Questions:
> 1. What am I missing here in setting this up?

There is no "pstopdf" filter, so CUPS cannot convert the other types
of files into a printable format.

> 2. What can I do about it to make it work for all file types?

Either add a pstopdf filter script (probably using Ghostscript)
and register it using a /etc/cups/local.convs file, or add second
cupsFilter attribute to the PPD for application/vnd.cups-postscript
(use "-" as the filter if the printer is PostScript)