[cups.development] Can filter get user machine ipaddress or hostname?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Oct 15 06:57:16 PDT 2008

keens312 wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Please have a look at the deployment.
>
> Host1 and Host2 are two iMac in the LAN
> Host1 connected a USB printer and sharing it
> Host2 added this shared printer
>
> Host2 print a manual duplex job.
> Printer print the first half and Host1 popup message for mauanl duplex.
>
> What I expected is that filter running on Host1 should send backchannel data to Host2 in this case, rather than local.

Your expectation was incorrect.  The filter runs entirely on Host1.

> Not sure if CUPS support this, and any suggestion for this case?

CUPS does not currently support this, and there are significant
security and functional issues that need to be resolved before it
could be added.

That said, you *can* communicate status information back to the
client using INFO: and STATE: messages in your filter, however
there is no way to know when a user has acted on that information.