Cannot print on a networked iMAC

Burnie West west at ieee.org
Tue Sep 2 20:46:19 PDT 2008

> Burnie West wrote:
> >> That's a Linux "extension" to CUPS that isn't supported or
> >> recommended.  PID files have a long list of common problems, which
> >> is why we don't use or support them in CUPS.
> >>
> >> That said, /private/var/run/cupsd *is* the correct domain socket
> >> path on Mac OS X, which does not exactly follow the Linux FHS
> >> directory structure.

That's what I find on the iMac, not on the Linux box.

> >> Everything looks OK, so my first guess would be firewall issues on
> >> either the Mac or Linux system.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
> >
> > Helge -- on iMac cupsdisable; sudo rm /private/var/run/cupsd; cupsenable produces {error} on http://localhost:631/printers->printers;
> > rebooting iMac regenerates 0 size cupsd
> >
> > Michael -- I'm unfamiliar with iMac. How do I temporarily disable its firewalls?
>
> The firewall is controlled through the Security preference pane -
> open System Preferences and click on Security.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

iMac->System Preferences->Security - - -

On the iMac, I find "Allow all incoming connections" active;  in the text box below I find
   File sharing(AFP)
   Printer sharing
   Web sharing
This seems reasonable. However, from the Linux box attempting to print a test page on the iMac served printer still produces
   403 Forbidden