[cups.general] Page size issues after CUPS update (1.3.8)

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 5 05:05:08 PDT 2008

Thomas Küstermann wrote:
> Michael R Sweet:
>> Basically, if you use a PostScript printer driver on the client as
>> well as the the server, the server's default settings will override
>> the settings embedded by the client's printer driver.  This will *not*
>> happen when using the Windows PostScript driver, but does happen if
>> you use a PostScript PPD on a CUPS client to do local filtering, and
>> then send the already-filtered print job to a non-raw queue on the
>> server.
>
> I am highly interested in this issue. What is the difference between a Windows PostScript driver and a PostScript PPD on a Windows System?

The PPD specifies the printer-specific commands that are inserted by
the PostScript driver.  Windows print jobs include DSC comments and
insert printer-specific commands in a way that allows the CUPS pstops
filter to work as expected.

CUPS clients using the same PPD file and doing local filtering (i.e.
you added a local printer that points to the remote server's queue)
send output produced by the pstops filter which (ironically) does not
allow the remote server's pstops filter to work as expected.  However,
recent versions of CUPS (1.3.x and later) will tell the remote server
that it has already filtered the PostScript, so that configuration
should also work as expected.

> I have encountered this 'problem' here too and solved it by altering these line in mime.convs:
> Are there any side effect I should pay attention to?

You've basically made all queues raw which will break printing from
CUPS clients that are using the server-supplied driver.