[cups.general] Page size issues after CUPS update (1.3.8)

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Sep 5 05:11:05 PDT 2008

Veselin Kantsev wrote:
> I have "resolved" the issue by downgrading to CUPS 1.2.7
>
> Michael,
> from what you say,
> it seems pointless to have the windows client filtering the job and then CUPS
> filtering it a second time.

There are certain options that must be applied at print-time and not
on the Windows client in order for print accounting to work.  Also,
if you are printing from a Windows client to a non-PostScript printer,
using the CUPS-supplied PPD on a Windows client will allow the CUPS
system to convert the PostScript to something that can be handled by
the printer.  Otherwise you'll get get a bundle of PostScript code
spewed on the printer...

> Would it better to have the windows clients do the filtering using
> their driver/ppds and then send the job to a CUPS raw queue?

If you don't care about printer accounting or page labels (e.g.
"Confidential" on every document), this is a valid configuration.

However, for full functionality from all clients we usually recommend
having Windows clients produce an intermediate PostScript job that can
be processed on the CUPS server - the overhead is minimal and provides
the most consistent user experience.