browsing nightmare

Marcos Dione mdione at grulic.org.ar
Mon Sep 8 06:59:25 PDT 2008

I have a debian etch server running cups 1.2.7 with the following config:

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen 172.16.21.1:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow 200.16.29.64/26
BrowseAllow 172.16.29.0/24
BrowseAllow 172.16.21.0/24
BrowseDeny tali.oac.uncor.edu

# BrowseAddress @IF(eth1)
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseProtocols cups dnssd
BrowseLocalProtocols cups dnssd
BrowseRemoteProtocols cups dnssd
BrowseIterval 60

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.16.21.0/24
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Encryption Required
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.16.21.0/24
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 172.16.21.0/24
</Location>

this server has at least one printer defined.

then I have several cups server in satelite machines, including a debian sid. these machines have «Browsing On», and are in the 172.16.21.0/24 network, but don't see the printer defined in the server. if I add «ServerName 172.16.21.1» in the clients' client.conf file, they start seeing the printer.

now, this is supposed to work without this, right? what am I missing/doing wrong?