Page size issues after CUPS update (1.3.8)

Thomas Küstermann t.kuestermann at tu-bs.de
Mon Sep 8 07:48:33 PDT 2008

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for spending time to explain PPD/Windows driver differences to me.

> You've basically made all queues raw which will break printing from
> CUPS clients that are using the server-supplied driver

I thought that it outputs all data of mime type application/postscript directly to the printer, instead of filtering it. Isn't it true?

> However, for full functionality from all clients we usually recommend
> having Windows clients produce an intermediate PostScript job that can
> be processed on the CUPS server - the overhead is minimal and provides
> the most consistent user experience.

A have a question: How is it possible that a Windows user can configure double side printing? In our environment (Windows XP/Vista, Linux, several HP printers), we are using the same PPDs on the clients just like on CUPS. If I don't adjust the mime.convs as mentioned before, the double side printing setting is simply overwritten. What solution is applicable to let the user choose what option fits best?

Thanks,
 - Thomas