browsing nightmare

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Mon Sep 8 10:01:35 PDT 2008

> I have a debian etch server running cups 1.2.7 with the following config:
>
> # Only listen for connections from the local machine.
> Listen localhost:631
> Listen 172.16.21.1:631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
>
> # Show shared printers on the local network.
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow 200.16.29.64/26
> BrowseAllow 172.16.29.0/24
> BrowseAllow 172.16.21.0/24

"BrowseAllow" lines describe which remote CUPS servers's printers this one will show in his own list of printers...

BrowseAllow is important for CUPS clients (more than it is for CUPS servers).

> BrowseDeny tali.oac.uncor.edu
>
> # BrowseAddress @IF(eth1)
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL
> BrowseProtocols cups dnssd
> BrowseLocalProtocols cups dnssd
> BrowseRemoteProtocols cups dnssd
> BrowseIterval 60

[....]

> this server has at least one printer defined.
>
> then I have several cups server in satelite machines, including a debian sid. these machines have «Browsing On», and are in the 172.16.21.0/24 network, but don't see the printer defined in the server. if I add «ServerName 172.16.21.1» in the clients' client.conf file, they start seeing the printer.
>
> now, this is supposed to work without this, right? what am I missing/doing wrong?

Your CUPS clients' cupsd.conf probably miss the correct "BrowseAllow" lines. Try this on your satellites:

  BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
  BrowseDeny All
  BrowseAllow 172.16.21.1

and you should be running...