Got CUPS to find printer - suggestions on basic PPD?

Collin Day dcday137 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:23:20 PDT 2008

Hi

Well, I had to reboot, but I got CUPS to find the printer.  As a basic driver, I tried this:

#include <font.defs>
#include <media.defs>
#include <raster.defs>
#include <pcl.h>

DriverType pcl

ModelNumber ($PCL_PAPER_SIZE $PCL_RASTER_END_COLOR $PCL_RASTER_CRD $PCL_PJL $PCL_PJL_PCL3GUI)

Font *
Manufacturer "HP"
Version "1.0"

HWMargins 18 12 18 12
*MediaSize Letter

ColorModel Gray k chunky 3

*Resolution - 8 0 0 0 "600dpi/600 DPI"

*InputSlot 7 "Auto/Automatic Selection"

Throughput 28
ModelName "HP PhotoSmart Pro B8850"
PCFileName "hp-b8850-test.ppd"

I figured I would try this just to get something basic.  When I try a test page, I get nothing.  Is my color model line wrong?  Should I add something to use PCL3GUI?  I know it is basic, but I am just trying to understand the whole system and how the pieces work.  If I could get a little thing that works, I could build from that.  Thanks.