Page size issues after CUPS update (1.3.8)

Thomas Küstermann t.kuestermann at tu-bs.de
Tue Sep 9 05:44:27 PDT 2008

Hello Michael,

> > A have a question: How is it possible that a Windows user can
> > configure double side printing?
>
> The usual way - via printer properties in the Windows print dialog.

A practical example: We've got a HP LaserJet 4350n PostScript printer. The mime.convs file of CUPS (1.3.8) is not touched. The drivers on windows clients are installed via 'add printer wizard' and 'http-printing'.
First scenario:
- PPD File for printer choosed and configured in CUPS
- clients (windows) have that PPD files as 'drivers' installed
Second scenario:
- PPD File for printer choosed and configured in CUPS
- clients (windows) have original PostScript driver from HP according to the printer installed
If the client chooses double side printing (printer properties) and the printer is configured to not print double sided, the clients options were overridden in both scenarios. As you have already said, the clients use local filtering in these scenarios that is not expected or not scheduled by CUPS.

So, what PostScript driver do you (or CUPS :-) ) expect to use for windows clients? A generic/universal one? Does an 'intermediate' driver support options for double side prining or tray selection (that won't be overridden)?

I'am a little bit confused about this issue as you can read ...

Thank you very much for your help!

- Thomas